See a SUPARTZ
Smart Thinking for Healthier Knees
You may need medical treatment for your knee pain. But you can also make lifestyle changes that help manage your knee pain so it can be easier to live with.
See below for things you can do:
- Lose weight. Every pound you lose takes 4 pounds of stress off your knee1
- Exercise your knee. Keep your joints and muscles in shape to prevent and ease knee pain1
- Eat healthy. Proper nutrition has been shown to help prevent knee pain. Make sure your diet includes foods high in vitamin C and other antioxidants1
- Quit smoking. Arthritis drugs can be less effective for smokers1
- Get a massage. Stimulation of blood flow can soothe knee pain1
- Wear appropriate footwear. Comfortable shoes can help reduce stress on your joints2
- Brace yourself. Certain devices (like braces or orthotic insoles) can help relieve pressure and stress on your joints3
For more tips, visit arthritis.org.
- How to care for yourself. Arthritis Foundation Web site. http://www.arthritis.org/how-to-care-for-yourself.php. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- Get square with your feet. Arthritis Foundation Web site. http://www.arthritis.org/foot-care.php. Accessed October 25, 2012.
- How do braces work? Arthritis Foundation Web site. http://www.arthritis.org/how-braces-work.php. Accessed October 25, 2012.