See a SUPARTZ
What Is SUPARTZ?
SUPARTZ (also called a viscosupplement) is a non-surgical, non-pharmacologic therapy for knee osteoarthritis. SUPARTZ therapy can help relieve your pain, improve your mobility, and get you back to your normal activities.
What do SUPARTZ and roosters have in common?
Hyaluronan is a natural substance found in your joint cartilage and in the synovial fluid that fills your joints. In the knee joint, hyaluronan acts like a lubricant and a cushion in the knee.1
The goal of SUPARTZ is to supplement poor-quality hyaluronan in your painful knee with additional highly purified hyaluronan. SUPARTZ therapy is an injectable solution made from highly purified sodium hyaluronate (also known as hyaluronic acid [HA]) that is extracted from rooster combs. These are harvested from roosters that have been certified as suitable for human consumption via pre- and post-mortem veterinary inspection.
A short 3-step injection process
Your doctor will inject SUPARTZ therapy directly into your knee joint right in the office.
The whole procedure takes only a few minutes:
- Your doctor may use a local anesthetic to numb your knee
- Your doctor removes the fluid that is currently in your knee joint with a process called arthrocentesis
- Your doctor injects SUPARTZ into the knee joint space
Your doctor may ask you to avoid strenuous activities for a couple of days following the injection. Most patients experience little or no discomfort during the injection.2 If you're concerned about the injection, talk to your doctor about ways to reduce any mild pain that may occur.
SUPARTZ treatment is approved for 5 weekly injections, but some patients may benefit from only 3 injections.*
*Some patients may experience benefit with as few as 3 injections given at weekly intervals. This has been noted in a study in which patients treated with 3 injections were evaluated for 90 days.3
- Balazs EA, Denlinger JL. Viscosupplementation: a new concept in the treatment of osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 1993;20(suppl 39):3-9.
- Strand V, Conaghan PG, Lohmander LS, et al. An integrated analysis of five double-blind, randomized controlled trials evaluating the safety and efficacy of a hyaluronan product for intra-articular injection in osteoarthritis of the knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006;14(9):859-866.
- SUPARTZ (package insert). Durham, NC: Bioventus LLC; 2012